Some of the latest golf bag brands such as Sun Mountain have introduced a new feature, built-in speakers in the Boom Bag, and in this article, I have reviewed Sun Mountain 2021 Boom Bag 14-Way Golf Cart Bag, one of the top-rated golf bags with built-in speakers. I have also reviewed Sun Mountain’s top golf bags here such as the Sun Mountain Men’s Golf Bag 4.5 model.
What is a speaker in a golf bag?
A golf-bag speaker is an in-built device that converts electrical audio signals into sound. The golf bag speakers are designed to amplify the sound of your music so that you can enjoy it while you are playing golf.
Bluetooth speakers enable you to connect wirelessly to your electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets. The Bluetooth connection allows you to play music from any source without the need for cables or wires.
What are the benefits of having a speaker in a golf bag?
There are several benefits of having a speaker in a golf bag:
1. You can listen to music while you are playing golf.
2. The sound quality of the music is improved.
3. You can share your music with others.
4. It is convenient and easy to use.
5. You can take it with you wherever you go.
What are the drawbacks of having a speaker in a golf bag?
There are some drawbacks of having a speaker in a golf bag:
1. The speakers may not be durable and long-lasting.
2. They may not provide the same sound quality as other types of speakers.
3. They may be difficult to use.
4. They may add weight to your golf bag
What are the different types of golf bag speakers?
There are two main types of golf bag speakers: Bluetooth and wired.
- 1. Bluetooth golf bag speakers: These speakers use Bluetooth technology to connect wirelessly to your electronic devices. They are convenient and easy to use but may not provide the same sound quality as other types of speakers.
- 2. Wired golf bag speakers: These speakers use a 3.5mm audio cable to connect to your electronic devices. They provide good sound quality but may be difficult to use.
What are the factors to consider when picking the best golf bag with speakers?
When picking the best golf bag with speakers, there are several factors you need to consider:
- Bluetooth: If you want to use your golf bag speaker with your electronic devices, you need to consider the Bluetooth connection.
- Built-in vs removable speakers: Some golf bags have built-in speakers while others have removable speakers. Go for those with in-built speakers if their weight does not exceed a sixth of the overall weight of an empty golf bag.
- Sound quality: You need to consider the sound quality of the speaker. You can determine sound quality by the number of watts, driver size, and frequency response.
- Portability: You need to consider the portability of the speaker. Go for those that are lightweight and have a carrying strap.
- Water-resistant: If you want to use your speaker in wet conditions, you need to consider those that are water-resistant.
- Price: You need to consider the price of the speaker. Go for those that are affordable and have good features.
- Battery life: You need to consider the battery life of the speaker. Go for those that have a long battery life so that you can use them for a long time.
- Durability: You need to consider the durability of the speaker. Go for those that are made of durable materials such as aluminum or stainless steel.
Review of Sun Mountain’s Boom Golf Bag with built-in Bluetooth speakers
In September 2018, Sun Mountain released a single-strap golf bag with built-in speakers, the Sun Mountain’s Boom Golf Bag with built-in Bluetooth speakers. As of the publication of this review in May 2022, this Boom Golf bag by Sun Mountain has been rated very highly on Amazon – an average of 4.8/5.
Let’s look at the features of this golf bag;
Compact golf bag:
This is perhaps the most compact golf cart bag that retained the ‘compactness’ even after the addition of the speaker. Despite having several pockets, 13 in total, they’ve managed to get the bag compact measuring 36 x 12 x 12 inches (L x W X H).
If you were to compare this bag with a traditional golf bag with 13 pockets, you’ll find that a traditional golf bag with 13 pockets would be bulky and not as ‘compact’. This means that the Sun Mountain Boom Golf Bag is perfect for those who have limited storage or do not have a golf cart to store their golf bag.
In a test of the Boom Speaker, it was revealed that its max volume depends on how where you place the speaker – the front, back, left, and right sides.
The volume output for the front and the rear was less than those for the sides by 5 to 7 decibels (dB).
The max volume of Sun Mountain Boom is (82 dB) which is comparable to other speakers such as the UE BOOM 3 with a max output of 84 dBs.
How Boom Bag Speaker works:
This Boom Bag has an in-built speaker that works with Android and iOS devices.
- Connect your device to the Bluetooth controller,
- Plug your speakers in
- The velour-lined valuables pocket has multiple slots to hold your Bluetooth controller/speaker battery and phone.
- Bluetooth controller can plug into a portable charging device for extra play time. Color-coded speaker wires plug into the controller.
- The media pocket has a clear vinyl window so you can view and change your selection.
- At full charge, the Bluetooth controller box will run the speakers for up to four hours. Use a portable charger to extend play time.
The Sun Mountain Boom Bag has a single strap that is adjustable making it easy to carry around. The advantage of single-strap bags is that they evenly distribute the weight across your shoulder which prevents back and neck pain.
The bag also has a padded strap so that it is more comfortable to carry around.
This Boom Bag is made of water-resistant materials making it ideal for those who want to use their speaker in wet conditions. The bag also has a water-resistant pocket that can hold your valuables such as your phone and keys.
This bag has 13 pockets in total – one of them being a clear vinyl windowed media pocket, a water-bottle pocket, and an insulated cooler pocket. The pockets are placed in strategic positions around the bag such as on the sides and on the front.
The pockets are also large enough to hold all your golfing accessories such as tees, balls, gloves, and even a scorecard.
Thirteen individual club dividers:
Each of the 13 pockets has an individual club divider so that your clubs do not get tangled up with each other.
This is a great feature as it protects your clubs and also makes it easy to find the club you are looking for.
This bag is made of durable materials such as aluminum and stainless steel. The bag also has a reinforced bottom that protects your clubs from the wear and tear of being stored in the trunk of your car.
This Boom Bag speaker lacks bass sound but you may improve it by altering the EQ settings on your phone. It has low-frequency tones which are common with small speakers.
Ease of use when playing:
The benefits of these bags include the ability to listen to music or podcasts while playing, as well as the convenience of not having to carry an extra device. As you can see in the image above, you can view your phone’s screen and control the music playing as well as the volume without having to entirely remove your phone from the golf bag.
However, there are some drawbacks, such as the need to have a phone nearby to control the sound and the possibility that the speakers could get damaged.
- 1. You can listen to music while playing
- 2. Convenient
- 3. Phone can stay in the bag
- 4. Good sound quality with loud volume of up to 82 dB
- 5. Easy to use
- Poor sound quality – lacking bass
- Some users found the wire for the left speaker not being able to stay connected. Wire disconnects whenever the box is moved
Best Golf Bag Bluetooth Speakers:
JBL’s Flip 5 is the perfect companion for your active, on-the-go lifestyle. It’s small enough to fit in your bag, but powerful enough to keep you moving with crisp, clear sound. The speakerphone lets you take calls from your mobile phone when you’re away golfing.
This water-resistant speaker delivers 12 hours of playtime and can be connected wirelessly via Bluetooth® technology with nearly any device that has Bluetooth® capabilities including smartphones, tablets and more. JBL Connect+ allows users to connect two speakers together for a bigger sound experience.
- 1. Affordable
- 2. IPX7 waterproof rating
- 3. 12-hour battery life
- 4. Bluetooth® range of up to 30 feet (9 meters)
- 5. JBL Connect+ allows users to connect two speakers together for a bigger sound experience
- Up to 11 color varieties to choose from
- Does not have stereo sound output – just mono
Celtic Blu is a Bluetooth 5.0 speaker that delivers a 360-degree surround sound experience. It is the perfect lightweight and portable Bluetooth speaker for any lifestyle. The Celtic Blu Bottle Shape Speaker uses BAS technology to produce louder, more penetrating sound from a compact design.
The Celtic Blu Bottle Shape Speaker has an advanced battery life of up to 30 hours of playtime, allowing you to take it anywhere! Its wireless range can reach 100 feet (30.48 m) away from your device with its built-in antenna.
This Bluetooth 5.0 speaker by Celtic Blu has many great features. It has an FM radio with a built-in antenna, a TF slot for MicroSD cards that can store up to 8,000 songs, a power bank to charge other devices, and an AUX 3.5 mm audio jack cable. It is also waterproof IPX4 and resistant to the MICROPHONE. The bike cage is versatile and can be affixed to any Recreational or Work Vehicle. The handlebar remote has volume control and is much safer and user-friendly.
Hi there! I am Justin, one of the founders here at Golf Bagsy. I have been golfing since I was 12 and have participated in over 50 tournaments since 2018. When COVID took over the golf tournament schedules during the lockdowns, I spent a good amount of time doing research and writing about golf. I also provide part-time coaching for those looking to learn how to play golf and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.