How heavy is a golf bag? This is a question I have been asked numerous times and in this article, I will try to answer this question.
When I started playing golf, I mostly assisted other people to carry their golf bags as I didn’t have mine. When I finally got mine, I started to wonder whether mine was heavier than others – or heavier than an average golf bag. In this post, I’ll go into detail about golf bag weight, how this impacts your game, and some tips on how to choose a lighter bag.
It is common for a golfer to be inquisitive about the weight of a golf bag as the weight determines how well you will enjoy the game. This is a general question and I will try to answer the question in a manner that will give you a hint of how much your bag weighs.
The weight of each bag varies between styles and types. Thus, there can be a big difference in weight depending on the type of bag that you prefer to use. If a player prefers to carry a carry bag on a weekend, it would be much lighter compared to a staff bag that is used by a professional. Roughly, a normal bag will weigh 25 to 30 pounds when with 14 clubs and other essentials.
How much does an empty golf bag without clubs weigh?
An empty lightweight golf bag typically weighs between 3 and 5 pounds but some empty staff bags and leather-made bags weigh 7 to 12 pounds without clubs. The weight of the bag will depend on the material it is made from as well as the size. For example, a leather golf bag will generally be heavier than one made from synthetic materials. The size of the bag will also affect the weight, with larger bags generally being heavier.
How much does a golf bag with clubs weight
On average, a golf bag with clubs weighs about 30 pounds (13.6 kilograms). However, the weight of your bag will depend on the number of clubs you have as well as the type of clubs. For example, if you have a full set of 14 clubs, your bag will be heavier than if you only have 10 clubs. The type of clubs you have will also affect the weight of your bag. For example, irons are generally heavier than woods.
The average weight of a golf bag with 14 clubs is 25 to 30 pounds.
When wet, a golf bag with clubs will add about 3 pounds, and can expect to carry up to 33 pounds of a wet full golf bag, about 15kgs.
Staff Bag – the heaviest
The staff bags are those golf bags that are used by professionals such as Tiger Woods. Sometimes, the professionals use the services of a caddie to ensure that the golf bag gets to the next hole. They are usually large and heavy-duty and they’re built to endure everyday usage. The bags have plenty of storage space where the professionals will have almost every item they require in a game.
The empty golf bag weight is about 7 -12 lbs. However, when the staff golf bag has all items that a player needs during the course for rounds, it will weigh about 35-40 lbs. In addition to having 14 golf clubs, the bag will have tees, balls, rain hood, water bottle, extra socks, wind shirt, and band-aids. So a staff bag is the heaviest bag that weighs about 40 lbs.
Factors that determine the weight of a golf bag;
- The material used to make it: as we’ve seen, the material used to make your golf bag will have a significant impact on the weight of the bag. For example, leather bags tend to be heavier than synthetic bags.
- Size: as you would expect, larger golf bags generally weigh more than smaller bags. This is because they have more space for clubs and other equipment.
- The number of clubs: the more clubs you have, the heavier your bag will be. This is because each club adds weight to the bag. On average a club weighs about 0.73 pounds (about 0.33 kgs) and you can calculate the weight of your particular golf bag depending on the number of clubs you have in there.
- The type of clubs: as we’ve seen, the type of clubs you have will also affect the weight of your bag. For example, irons are generally heavier than woods. The weight of a golf iron can also impact the weight of the golf bag. The weight of a golf iron varies depending on the type of iron, but they typically weigh between 0.8 and 1 pound.
- Driver: A driver is the lightest club in a golfer’s bag and typically weighs about 330 grams.
- Putter: A putter which weighs about 19 ounces also impacts the overall weight of the golf bag.
How does the weight of my golf bag affect my game?
The weight of your golf bag can have an impact on your game. If your bag is too heavy, it can be difficult to carry and may cause you to fatigue more quickly. This can lead to a loss of power and accuracy in your shots. If your bag is too light, it may not have enough space for all of your clubs and other equipment. This can lead to a loss of accuracy and distance in your shots.
Ideally, you want to find a happy medium between the two extremes. A good rule of thumb is to choose a golf bag that weighs no more than 10% of your body weight. So, if you weigh 200 pounds (about 90 kg), your golf bag should weigh no more than 20 pounds (about 9 kg).
What are some tips for choosing a lighter golf bag?
If you’re looking for a lighter golf bag, there are a few things you can keep in mind.
- First, choose a bag made from synthetic materials rather than leather. Synthetic materials are generally lighter than leather.
- Second, choose a smaller bag. Larger bags tend to be heavier than smaller bags.
- Finally, consider the number of clubs you need. The more clubs you have, the heavier your bag will be. So, if you don’t need all 14 clubs, leave some at home.
Hi there! I am Justin, one of the founders here at Golf Bagsy. I have been golfing since I was 12 and have participated in over 50 tournaments since 2018. When COVID took over the golf tournament schedules during the lockdowns, I spent a good amount of time doing research and writing about golf. I also provide part-time coaching for those looking to learn how to play golf and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.